Beach Week - Eco-Sunscreen
Want the right stuff to ward off summer sunburns?
Skip the reunion tour with conventional lotions and slather eco-sunscreens on your kiddos. With mineral-based blocks, you'll protect them from harmful UV rays (but alas, not boy bands) and hang tough against cruddy chems.
- Taking a safe step (by step). Conventional UV blocker chemoxybenzone allows other toxins found in standard 'screens to seep into your bloodstream through your skin. These picks block rays using nontoxic minerals zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.
- No false(tto) fragrances. Conventional sunscreens often contain perfumes, a source of VOCs and hormone-disrupting phthalates. Eco-'screens use essential oils for scent.
- Oh, oh, ohhhh so much better for marine life. Common chems in regular sunscreens wash off swimmers and destroy our coral reefs. These steer clear of the stuff.
- Vivesana Solar to Polar Baby SPF 42 - lightweight block that spreads easily without whitish residue; botanical oils and extracts protect skin from dryness ($32/2.25 ounces.)
- Soléo Organics All Natural Sunscreen SPF 30 - 'screen with grape-seed oil base; no additives means that it separates, so mix it in your palm a bit before applying ($27/2.6 ounces).
- California Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 - creamy lotion that rubs in well; with antioxidant green tea and lemongrass scent ($18/2.9 ounces).
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen Baby SPF 30 - developed to weather Aussie sun (but made in the United States); cap changes color in UV light ($9/3 ounces).
- Avalon Organics Baby Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 18 - sweet-smelling, inexpensive option made with chamomile, great for sensitive skin; leaves a bit of a white sheen ($6/3.5 ounces).
Enter code Idealbite&vive25 at checkout when you buy Vivesana sunscreen and receive 25% off through Jun. 30.